briefing

Just Sharing healthy foods for little ones from 9mo~3yo++
blog started on 17/3/2015


Thursday, March 22, 2018

MALAIGOU 有机椰糖马来糕 (Organic Coconut Sugar with yeast version) 22/3/2018

I am super happy and satisfied with the MaLaiGou I steamed this morning.
When I cut it and saw the texture with nice holes, I "wow" loudly!
when,I took a bite on it, I "hmmmm" so loudly!
The taste and texture are perfectly combined in my mouth.

I am a MaLaiGou lover and whenever I saw the Kuih-muih stall selling MaLaiGou,sure I will buy one for myself. I also tried making it several times before this but all not satisfied by me.

This time, I refer 4-5 different recipes, watched several YouTube videos, I finally able to get the right ways. I am going to steam another MaLaiGou this weekend when I visit my mom. I have to emphasize that the coconut sugar that I used this time is healthy organic coconut sugar.

Coconut Sugar Sponge Cake
Ingredients:
140g Organic coconut sugar (please scroll down to see the sugar packaging that i used)
(brown sugar / molasses / Gula Melaka can be used too)
100ml Full Cream Milk/Fresh milk 
(if not using coconut sugar/gula melaka, suggest to use 50ml milk plus 50ml santan)
80g Corn oil/any tasteless vege oil (i used rice bran oil)
3 large eggs
150g self-raising flour + 4g Natural Baking Soda (sieve together)
1/2 tsp instant dry yeast

Steps:
1. Add coconut sugar and eggs in a big bowl. Use hand whisk to whisk till sugar is dissolved. Add in milk and mix well too.
2. Add in the sieved flour, baking soda and instant dry yeast into the egg batter, mix well.
3. Add in oil by 3 separate times and mix well.
4. Pour the batter into a 7" / 8" round basket which laid with a piece of parchment paper. 
(This is very important to have nicely and evenly steamed cake compare to normal cake pan i used last time)
(This time i used steam rack which bottom with many holes)
5. Place the batter aside in warm place and rest for 60 minutes. (I put inside my oven with door closed, no power on.)
6. Put the batter into a boiling steamer, steam for medium high heat for 30 minutes. Please wrap a cloth to the lid cover to avoid water dripping onto the cake surface. (as photo below)



【椰糖马来糕】
材料:
有机椰糖 140g
鸡蛋 3粒
鲜奶 100g
自发面粉 150g和苏打粉 4g (先过筛备用)
粟米油 80g
速发酵母 1/2茶匙

做法:
1)先把椰糖和鸡蛋打至糖溶再加入鲜奶打均匀。
2)把自发面粉,苏打粉和速发酵母倒入蛋糊里拌均匀。
3)把油分3次慢慢倒进面糊里拌均匀。
4)倒入7"/ 8"圆的竹篮子里发酵1个小时(必须铺上油纸里)。 (之前我用烤盘,效果不佳)(现在我用的是下面有很多洞的蒸盘)
5)发酵1小时后把模型放入已沸腾的锅里蒸半小时就可以了。锅盖一定要包一块布一防水滴。

(全用手搅拌均匀的)


VIDEO: 马来糕的软度和弹性
Texture of the sponge cake








***********The contents below are from internet***********


I bought it from AEON supermaket...organic section

Coconut sugar is also called Coconut Palm Sugar.

It is a natural sugar made from sap, which is the sugary circulating fluid of the coconut plant. It is often confused with Palm Sugar, which is similar but made from a different type of palm tree.

Is It More Nutritious Than Regular Sugar?
Regular table sugar and high fructose corn syrup don't contain any vital nutrients and therefore supply "empty" calories.

However, coconut sugar does retain quite a bit of the nutrients found in the coconut palm. There isn't a lot of data on this, but according to the Phillipine Department of Agriculture, coconut sugar contains several nutrients.

Most notable of these are the minerals Iron, Zinc, Calcium and Potassium, along with some short chain fatty acids, polyphenols and antioxidants that may also provide some health benefits.

Then it contains a fiber called inulin, which may slow glucose absorption and explain why coconut sugar has a lower glycemic index than regular table sugar (1).


Coconut Sugar May Have a Lower Glycemic Index
The glycemic index (GI) is a measure of how quickly foods raise blood sugar levels. Glucose is given a GI of 100 and if a food has a GI of 50, then it raises blood sugar half as much as pure glucose.

The Phillipine Department of Agriculture measured the glycemic index of coconut sugar and compared it to glucose.

According to them, Coconut Sugar is given a GI of 35, which puts it in the low range. This is much lower than table sugar, which is somewhere around 60.

*********************************************************************

2nd attempt by using the above recipe by changing the followings:-
140g Brown sugar
50ml Full Cream Milk/Fresh milk 
50ml Santan
70g rice bran oil
3 large eggs
150g self-raising flour + 4g Natural Baking Soda (sieve together)
1/2 tsp instant dry yeast

I didn't use bamboo basket/steam basket as I have no more baking paper at home. 
No choice I steam it in the round cake pan. The result is not as good as the 1st attempt.

 





******************************************************

3rd attempt by using the above recipe by changing the followings:-
140g Brown sugar
100ml Santan
70g rice bran oil
3 large eggs
150g self-raising flour + 4g Natural Baking Soda (sieve together)
1/2 tsp instant dry yeast

I used bamboo basket/steam basket and the result is as good as the 1st attempt.









No comments:

Post a Comment