Tuesday, February 27, 2018
WUBA (Monster Hunt2) steamed buns / mantou 胡巴饅頭
Milky Mantou / steamed buns with red bean filling
Fresh Milk 90g
Instant dry yeast 1/2 tsp
Pao flour/all purpose flour 150g
Vegetable/Olive Oil 1 tbsp
1) I use bread maker to knead the dough by function no 8 of my tesco bm. Beat 15mins, off machine. 2) Rest for 10mins, press out all air, divide dough into 6pcs of 40g dough.
3) shape and roll into ball shape OR wrap in fillings.
4) place the steam rack on the wok with warm water (45'C) and proof for 20-30mins or till double the size. It is ready when you touch the bun's surface and it is bouncing back.
4) steam at medium high heat for 10mins.
5) Off the fire and wait for 8 mins only open the lid cover.
For "WuBa" Shaping:
1) after pressing out air and knead each dough several times, roll each dough into balls. (must cover dough with cling wrap to avoid drying out the surface)
2) wrap each dough with filling or skip this if making plain type.
3) place each dough on a piece of "pao paper" or baking paper.
4) use milk as the "glue" to attach the parts to the bun's surface. brush a thin layer of milk by finger tip or brush, then only place the following parts
5) mix the following powder to the remaining dough for coloured dough
a) 1/2 part for green : spinach powder / green tea powder
mix well the powder with the dough by kneading it several times, if a bit dry, just add a drop or two of the fresh milk. divide green dough into 6 portions. roll each portion into thin ropes. cut the ropes into 0.5cm in length and combine all together to form the "hair"
b) 1/4 for black : bamboo charcoal powder
mix well the powder with the dough by kneading it several times, if a bit dry, just add a drop or two of the fresh milk. roll tiny dough into ball as eyes, shapes for mouth, etc
c) 1/4 part for pink : red yeast powder
mix well the powder with the dough by kneading it several times, if a bit dry, just add a drop or two of the fresh milk. make the ears!!
6) usually after shaping, the proofing time could be reduced as during shaping, the buns are proofing too. so when you touch the bun's surface which is bouncing back, then you can start steaming the buns now.
Tips for smooth surface:
1) using a cloth to wrap the lid cover to avlid water dripping on the surface which will cause wrinkled skin.
2) do not open lid cover immediately after steaming. Must let the temperature slowly go down to avoid sudden temperature change which will cause wrinkled skin too.